New Elizabethan Hair Designs

1st Design
My first design is heavily inspired by the traditional Elizabethan heart-shaped hair and high hairline. My modern take on this look is to include a heart shape in the back of the hair style as well. The hair shown on the 'front' of the head in my drawing would be created using padding with a hair rat. Also, the hair ideally would be crimped to add to the Elizabethan element of the design. 

The back of the head would be separated into a heart shaped and raised with the aid of backcombing. I attempted this style on my model head at home to try out the techniques I have proposed.

To begin with, I section the hair into a heart shape using a pintail comb. I kept the sections of frizzed hair at the front away to make the sectioning a lot easier and to keep the sections even. Once I had divided the hair, I backcombed the heart shape to make it seem raised and more obvious. I created my own hair rat with tights and cotton wool and used this to created the round shaped shown above. I was unable to complete the look as I did not have any more tights or hair grips! Although I was able to gather enough information through my practise to understand my design and the practicalities of it further. I do not want to use this as my final design as I think it is too obviously 'Elizabethan' and for my look I want to create a more subtle design incorporating both modern and historical techniques. As well as that, I recognised with the harshness of the style I wanted to make the look softer with more details to make the hair look more youthful - as the Elizabethans so desired!



2nd Design


I have been working on my second design for a few weeks now in and outside of lessons. My technical and practise posts can be found here:


With this design, I really enjoyed creating the plaits and adding adornments to gain confidence in experimenting further. However, I do not feel this elaborate enough to incorporate different skills and have a high enough technical element to it to be a piece I would be very happy with. Therefore my final design I will incorporate sections of both of my designs so to create one that is elaborate and includes various techniques. 

Final Design
Following my previous experiments and design, I have created a final hairstyle I want to re-create to portray a youthful New Elizabethan bridal style. The style incorporates the 'half-up half-down' style that is popular in recent years but also can be recognised in multiple Elizabethan portraits so is a perfect style to include both techniques. I wanted the look to be gentle and rounded at the front to keep the look soft, much like the styles of younger woman in Elizabethan times. I also want it to be decorated and elaborate at the back to demonstrate a beautiful bridal design as well as more juvenile and youthful style, as opposed to the well-recognised stiffness of the heart-shaped and hat-adorned hairstyles of the aged Elizabethans. 

The left hand side of the drawing shows the simple look of the style from the front. I want to use a hair rat to padding the hair into a semi-circle on the top of my head, framing my hairline. The hair would be crimped and brushed out to replicate Queen Elizabeth's favoured technique. Directly behind the padded hair, there will be a small french plait adorned with pearls (attached to hair grips to slide into the hair easily). The remaining hair would be spilt into two sections, the top section would be taken into a modern style bun and decorated further with pearls around the circular shape. The bottom half of the hair that is left would be curled using the modern technique of 'spiral curling' to create loose curls. Some pieces of hair would be pinned underneath the bun, against the way the hair falls, to add more volume and layers and the rest of the curled hair would rest over the shoulder onto the front of the body.


These images above show the techniques I have practised that I would like to incorporate in this design. I am very happy with my final design as I feel it will be a well-rounded combination between modern and historical Elizabethan styles. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top