Anne of Denmark - National Portrait Gallery

On our trip to London, we visited the National Portrait Gallery. Specifically, we looked around the Tudor and Elizabethan section. The Tudor section was overwhelmed with royalty and many portraits of Queen Elizabeth I herself, however, one image caught my eye through her angelic ora. 'Anne of Denmark' was painted at the end of the Elizabethan era, between 1605 and 1610, and demonstrates the wife of King James VI in an elegant silvery-blue gown and simply elegant makeup. This portrait reminded me instantly of a bride through the pale colours used in the material of her dress, the pearls wrapped around her chest representing virginity and her polished, pale complexion and neat hair to show royalty and wealth. The reason I have chosen to include this particular portrait in my research is to show a style of hair and makeup that symbolises to me an Elizabethan bride to tie in with my final New Elizabethan bridal design. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top