2nd Attempt at My Partners Design (Me as Stylist)

Plait
I started the second practise session with Tara's design by creating the french plait that goes over her head from ear to ear. To begin, I sectioned the hair amount of hair I needed behind her fringe into a middle parting and kept the sections either side even to keep the look symmetrical. In my first attempt, I found it difficult to have the start and end of the plait the same. This time I started lower down her head, more so by her ear, and after I had completely the french braid I loosened the style up with a metal pin comb which gave the impression of the hair being the same thickness all over (by loosening some bits more than others). As part of Tara's design, she wanted the plait to be very messy so I have taken photos of the plait at the stage Tara felt it was the right style for her character's hairstyle. I also discussed with Tara what she wanted to do with her fringe and she has decided to leave it out straight (as it would be awkward to include in the plait neatly and she did not want it crimped).

Backcombed Section
For the crimped and frizzed section, I began by crimping all the remaining hair behind the plait. I then sectioned the hair, layer by layer, to crimp and backcomb (using a thin-toothed comb) from bottom to top - focusing on the roots. To shape the hair into the rounded look Tara desires, I then used an afro comb to soften the frizz from the backcombing and pinned the hair in sections using hair grips. I gripped the hair in sections (from one side of the head to the other) to make it easier to make a symmetrical and meant I can take sections out of the grip again to backcomb more or smooth the hair. Tara was pleased with the shape as she does not want it to be extremely high. I felt there were quite a lot of flyaways, as a result of the backcombing crimped hair, that I will attempt to smooth in the final assessment. However, Tara stated it added to her 'crazy' personality linked to her character so it may be worth leaving the messiness in the look.


Plaited Bun
Tara's plaited bun design
Following our inital trial of Tara's design, we agreed to change the technique of creating the plait to make a larger finished bun. Instead of creating a ponytail and plaiting that hair, I separated the hair into three sections and plaited them. I then wrapped the middle plait into a circle and pinned into place. After that, I wrapped the other two around to create a rounded shape. Both of us were much happier with the section plaited bun shown above as it was larger and more like the style Tara had practised in the designing stages. Even though the first in neater, it is not as in-keeping as the second bun as it is messy and looser (I teased the plaits before pinning to achieve this). I feel it could be more round when I create it for the assessment and I can do this by pinning the plaits into a tighter circle shape and then teasing the hair to create Tara's loose design.  

Overall, I am very pleased with my second attempt has been very successful. I have achieved the style of bun Tara really wanted and the issues with the plait behind her fringe have been solved. I also completed the style in less than the 2 hour limit. Tara and I want to have a final practise session before our assessments and I feel like this will be a perfect time to perfect the techniques (so it is not trial and error on the day!) and be very confident in the process.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top