Modern Bridal Hair

Compared to Queen Elizabeth I's abstance with marriage, being a bride has almost become a fashion trend in itself. Bridal hair is a massive business in the 21st Century and often incorporates curls, plaits and buns - trends seen in Elizabethan society. In today's lesson we were given a brief to create a bridal hairstyle where at least some of the hair was up (and if partly up, the rest must incorporate curls) and plaits were used as a technique in the look.


My initial design included a loose french plait going across the top of the models head and round to the back that turns into a plaited bun. Following from the bun, I wanted to then produce a very loose and boho fish tail plait (with loose curls around the head). My inspiration for my sketch was a 'boho' bride and I did not want the style to be slick or polished.


The images above demonstrate my attempt to translate my design onto a models head. Luckily, Charlie's hair was lovely and long so I had plenty to work with! However, I do feel my final images show that it is not very 'bridal'. I really loved the loose, large french plait on the top of Charlie's head as it was the exact style I wanted but the fishtail was too narrow and was difficult to make looser without looking un-styled and too messy or frizzy. I do like the incorporation of the plaited bun as it separated the two styles of plait at the back of her head. As I was not happy having all the hair up in the unsuccessfully styled fishtail plait, I made another attempt at a bridal hairstyle with just the french braid.


This is my second attempt at creating a bridal look. I am much happier with this style as the curls and piece at the back of the head portray more of a bridal hairstyle. I used a pintail comb to tease the hair from the french plait, making it looser and larger. This teased plait would definitely be one I would like to incorporate in a New Elizabethan look amongst crimping or curls. For the back of the hair, I wanted to still keep it as interesting as the bun but less precise so I gripped pieces of curled hair up and away from the direction of Charlie's hair so it would fall back on itself and create volume and more of a shape (than if it were to be pinned in the same direction). The shape of the back piece almost looks like the bottom of a heart shape and I want to try and develop this further into my final design.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top